Freelance Mandarin interpreter and Chinese translator (11/94 - present)
- Provided professional linguistic services such as interpretation (simultaneous, consecutive, court, and escort), translation, and software localization on full-time basis
- Provided simultaneous interpretation services for conferences, workshops, webcasts, speeches, and court proceedings in US, England, Italy, Australia, and Switzerland.
- Specialized in technical projects involving patents, manuals, software user-interfaces, video scripts and subtitles, advertisements, datasheets, and MSDS's etc.
- Covered subjects such as marketing, financial services, law, electronics, telecommunications, computer science, mechanical engineering, medicine, chemistry, chemical engineering, physics,
petroleum industry, pulp and paper industry, automotive industry, and textile industry etc.
- Localized extensive websites.
- Served as the Language Chair and as a grader for the from-English-into-Chinese Certification Examination of the American Translators Association (ATA) (11/2000 – 11/2017)
Asia Director, Fotoforms Systems, Inc. (11/93 - 10/94)
- Studied, designed, prepared, and launched a Chinese-US joint venture, the Beijing John's Photography, Ltd., successfully and almost single-handedly from scratch.
Research associate, Department of Physics, Emory University (10/89 - 10/93)
- Did extensive computational work on theoretical physics subjects such as crack propagation modeling and simulation and studies of optical properties of semiconductor materials
- Put in enormous efforts in using extremely powerful supercomputers, such as Cray's and IBM mainframes, to simulate physical materials of real world
- Doctor of Philosophy in physics - September, 1985 to September, 1989; Department of Physics, the University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
- Master of Science in physics - September, 1983 to May, 1985; Department of Physics & Astronomy, the University of Pittsburgh; Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Bachelor of Science in physics - September, 1978 to July, 1982; Department of Modern Physics, the University of Science & Technology of China; Hefei, Anhui Province, China
Certificates, Test results, and Clearance
- State of Georgia certified Mandarin court interpreter, 6/2008
- American Translators Association (ATA) certified from-English-into-Chinese translator, 12/1998
- US Department of State approved translator with a Public Trust certificate issued by the agency, 2/2007
- Berlitz certified Mandarin interpreter for U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) courts, 7/1995